Skill Level: 1
Original Honor: 1944
AdventSource Honors Handbook PDF
AdventSource Catalog: Patch Order (must have approved order login) (link from AdventSource)
Wiki.pathfindersonline.org Article/Answer Key
Originating Institution: General Conference
- Explain how each of the following is formed:
- Identify either in the sky or from pictures the following types of clouds: cirrus, cumulus, stratus, nimbus. What kind of weather is associated with each.
- Explain the action of a mercury or spirit thermometer, a mercury barometer, an aneroid barometer, and a rain gauge.
- Why is it possible to be rainy on one side of the mountain range and dry on the other? Give an illustration for your country or region.
- Why is it cooler and more moist in the mountains than in the lowlands?
- From which direction do rain and clear weather usually come in your locality?
- Show with the help of a diagram how the earth's relationship to the sun produces the seasons.
- What causes lightning and thunder? What different kinds of lightning are there?
- Show with the help of a diagram what a convection is. What is its relation to winds?
- Explain how radar, satellites, and computers are used in weather forecasting.
- Tell how the following can affect our weather:
- Jet stream
- Volcano eruption
- Make a drawing showing the water cycle in weather.
- Make a simple wind vane or rain gauge.
- Keep a weather chart for one week and record readings at 12-hour intervals. Include the following:
- Moisture (dew, fog, rain, frost, or snow)
- Cloud formation
- Wind direction