Skill Level: 2
Category: Spiritual Growth, Outreach, and Heritage
Original Honor: 2017
AdventSource Honors Handbook PDF
AdventSource Catalog: Patch Order (must have approved order login) (link from AdventSource)
Wiki.pathfindersonline.org Article/Answer Key
Originating Institution: North American Division
1. Define “hymn” and cite your source.
a. a song of praise to God
b. a metrical composition adapted for singing in a religious service
c. a song of praise or joy
d. something resembling a hymn”
2. Discuss the biblical context of the following texts as each relates to hymns, and the reasons given for singing:
a. Judges 5:3
b. Psalm 33:2
c. Psalm 40:3
d. Psalms 81:1-2
e. Psalm 95:1, 2
f. Psalm 98:4-6
g. Psalm 101:1
h. Nehemiah 12:27
i. Ephesians 5:19
j. Colossians 3:16
3. Select a verse or short passage from the Bible and set it to a tune. You may set the verse to an existing melody or compose one of your own. Sing your new hymn either acapella or with music.
4. Using the topical index in an Adventist hymnal, identify at least one hymn from each of the following topics:
b. Second Coming
c. Christ’s birth
e. Health message
5. Identify at least three places you can hear hymns being performed other than a church service.
a. Sabbath School
b. Camping trips
6. Identify the various indexes in your hymnal and tell how they are useful in planning hymns for worship.
7. Select five hymns that you like and briefly discuss your reasons for each of the hymns selected.
8. Using an Adventist hymnal, read the lyrics of three hymns you are not familiar with. Either summarize the meaning or draw a picture of what the hymns mean to you.
9. Create a media experience about two hymn writers, one of which must be an early advent hymn writer, and list your resources.
10. Select two hymns and present the story of what inspired their authors to write them.
11. Learn a hymn that is unfamiliar to you and perform it for one of the following: your church, youth or Pathfinder group, or in another setting approved by your leader.