Skill Level: 1
Original Honor: 2018
AdventSource Honors Handbook PDF
AdventSource Catalog: Patch Order (must have approved order login) (link from AdventSource)
Wiki.pathfindersonline.org Article/Answer Key
Originating Institution: North American Division
- Know the basic rules of flag football as presented in the SDA - SARC rulebook (Seventh-day Adventist - Sports Activities Rules Committee).
- What is the meaning of “Good Sportsmanship?”
- Make a drawing and label the parts of the flag football field with the dimensions of each.
- Demonstrate knowledge of flag football by developing three offensive and three defensive plays, and try them in an actual game.
- During practice, demonstrate the skills required for the following positions.
b. End (left and right)
d. Half back (left and right)
e. Pass rusher
g. Middle linebacker
i. Outside linebacker
- Review the meaning of the referee signals as represented in the SDA-SARC.
- Review the penalties for each infraction listed in the SDA-SARC.
- Describe the rule adaptations for flag football that were changed from tackle football for safety reasons for each of the following.
c. Rushing the quarterback
d. Muffed ball
- Define the following terms:
- Practice the following skills:
a. Catch the football while using proper form and technique, both stationary and running.
b. Practice three-pass patterns such as post, fade, or curl.
c. Using the proper form, practice passing the football to both a stationary and a
d. Perform three of the running skills: slant, cut, and spin.
e. Demonstrate the proper grip, shoulder position, and acceleration while receiving a handoff.
f. Demonstrate proper grip, stance, and eye movement during the long snap.
g. Combine all areas of offensive and defensive strategies and game play into a
game of six-on-six flag football.
h. Demonstrate the skills necessary to defend against a pass.
i. Apply defensive strategies of man-to-man and zone coverage into a game of flag football.
j. Demonstrate the proper formation and execution, both offense and defense, of a punt.
- Participate in at least five regulation games of flag football, demonstrating
sportsmanship while incorporating all offensive and defensive skills learned.
- Discuss the physical benefits of being active in team sports and what is gained from playing as a team.
- Cooperate with other players to improve the team’s playing skills.
- Read Galatians 5:19-25. Which list of character qualities best describes a Christian coach, player, and spectator? How are the good fruits obtained?
- Discuss with an individual or a group the problems facing a Seventh-day Adventist youth considering sports in junior high, high school, or college. What alternatives
are there that allow for continued activity in sports?
For reference, obtain a copy of the SDA-SARC from SDA Health, Physical Education, Recreation Association, Walla Walla College, College Place, WA 99324. (509) 527-